Halevy filed the lawsuit against officers Luis Vega and Yelena Bruzzese on Jan. 22 in Brooklyn federal court, accusing them of attacking him at a Jewish youth center in Crown Heights.
The surveillance video
from October showed one of the officers punching Halevy repeatedly in the head, while another officer struck Halevy with a baton for over two minutes.
The officers, who were responding to an emergency phone call, said Halevy was sleeping naked on a couch in the lounge and refused to leave.
While Halevy claimed he had been granted permission to sleep at the center, he had nonetheless been charged with a felony count of assault and three misdemeanors: resisting arrest, obstruction and criminal trespass.
The video footage
led to widespread condemnation from Jewish community leaders, including a petition
that had garnered approximately 10,000 signatures
by October 22—one day before the news that the charges had been dropped.
, Norman Siegel, said Halevy is currently receiving counseling for pain and trauma suffered from the incident.
“For all the New Yorkers who saw the video, when you see it, you want to put your hands over your eyes because very rarely do you see this kind of stark video of police brutality,” Siegel said, according to local reports.
The New York City Law
Department said it will review papers related to the case.